Chunky Beef Chili au Gratin
Slow Cooker Method
Comfort Food at it’s best! Serve this chili in French Onion Soup bowls and top with your favourite grated cheese, a few diced tomatoes, jalapeños and some cool sour cream. Add some soft gooey garlic bread or wonderful French baguette.
- 2 lbs stewing beef cut into ½ inch dice
- 2 onions, finely chopped
- 2 stalks of celery, finely chopped
- 2 tbsp finely chopped garlic
- 1 16oz can plum tomatoes, hand crushed
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 6 tbsp chili powder
- 1 smoked chipotle pepper(canned)
- Pinch sugar
- Salt & pepper
- ¼ cup olive oil
- 16 oz kidney beans
- Brown beef evenly over medium-high heat. Once browned, add onions and celery and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add garlic, chili powder and chipotle pepper. This really helps bring out the flavour of the spices. Cook for a couple of minutes then drain any oil that is left over.
- Add crushed plum tomatoes to pan and scrape bottom to get all the natural sugars. Put into slow cooker. Add rest of ingredients and cook on low for 6-8 hours or on high for 4-5 hours.