Smoked Chicken and Corn Chowder
With Aged Cheddar Biscuits
Chowder Yield: 5 Litres
You Will Need:
1 Whole Smoked Chicken (Specialty Butcher Shops)
5 Whole Cob’s of Corn, Charred on grill
2 Finely Chopped Onions
2 Ribs Finely Chopped Celery
2 Red Peppers Diced
1 lb mini red potatoes, quartered
5 Cloves of Garlic chopped
4L unsalted chicken broth
2 Bay Leaves
1 Cup of 35% cream
.5 lb butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
- Gently cook onions & celery in butter until translucent ( make sure to season)
- Add rest of vegetables & cook for 3 more minutes.
- Add broth & simmer for 30 minutes
- Finish with cream & adjust seasoning.
NOTE: If a thicker soup is desired, mix a couple of tablespoons of flour with cold water and add to soup, cook for 15-20 minutes to get rid of flour taste.
Aged Cheddar Biscuits
Yield: 28 2″ biscuits
You Will Need:
1 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 Cup grated Cheddar Cheese
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 Cup cold Buttermilk
.5 Cup Cream
5 Ounces Cold butter cut into small cubes
- Mix dry ingredients in bowl until well combined
- Mix eggs, buttermilk & cream together
- Break the butter into the flour until small pea like sizes
- Mix the wet ingredients into the flour to form dough, do not over mix.
- Pat the dough out until it is about 1 inch high, using a little flour so it does’t stick
- Dip a 2 in. round cookie cutter in the flour, cut out a biscuit & place sheet pan with baking paper
- Bake in a 450 F for 15-18 min.
NOTE: A trick of the trade is when placing biscuits on sheet pan, have them gently touching. This results in a much puffier biscuit as there is no room for them to expand but up!