With Aged Cheddar Biscuits
Chowder Yield: 5 Litres
You Will Need:
1 Whole Smoked Chicken (Specialty Butcher Shops)
5 Whole Cob’s of Corn, Charred on grill
2 Finely Chopped Onions
2 Ribs Finely Chopped Celery
2 Red Peppers Diced
1 lb mini red potatoes, quartered
5 Cloves of Garlic chopped
4L unsalted chicken broth
2 Bay Leaves
1 Cup of 35% cream
.5 lb butter
Salt & Pepper to taste
1.Gently cook onions & celery in butter until translucent ( make sure to season)
2. Add rest of vegetables & cook for 3 more minutes.
3. Add broth & simmer for 30 minutes
4. Finish with cream & adjust seasoning.
NOTE: If a thicker soup is desired, mix a couple of tablespoons of flour with cold water and add to soup, cook for 15-20 minutes to get rid of flour taste.
Aged Cheddar Biscuits
Yield: 28 2″ biscuits
You Will Need:
1 tbsp. All Purpose Flour
2 tbsp. Baking Powder
1 tsp. Baking Soda
1 tsp. Salt
1 Cup grated Cheddar Cheese
2 tbsp. Sugar
1 Cup cold Buttermilk
.5 Cup Cream
5 Ounces Cold butter cut into small cubes
1. Mix dry ingredients in bowl until well combined
2. Mix eggs, buttermilk & cream together
3. Break the butter into the flour until small pea like sizes
4. Mix the wet ingredients into the flour to form dough, do not over mix.
5. Pat the dough out until it is about 1 inch high, using a little flour so it does’t stick
6. Dip a 2 in. round cookie cutter in the flour, cut out a biscuit & place sheet pan with baking paper
7. Bake in a 450 F for 15-18 min.
NOTE: A trick of the trade is when placing biscuits on sheet pan, have them gently touching. This results in a much puffier biscuit as there is no room for them to expand but up!